Much of Brad Cook’s long and successful career in public
education was spent as a health educator and track coach in the city
of Brockton, MA. He has also taught in both rural and suburban settings. This broad-based experience in a divergent mix of teaching environments, student populations, multi-cultural and socioeconomic communities has given Brad extensive capabilities for communicating with people of all ages and backgrounds, from all walks of life. It has also endowed him with the gifts of empathy and humility.
Brad’s work with young people didn’t stop at the classroom door. He introduced a 12 week anti-gang program – “GREAT” (Gang Resistance Education and Training) – into the Brockton schools, and he co-instructed it with a Brockton police officer. “GREAT” was later implemented across the entire Brockton system. He has done work for the American Lung Association, and he was a recipient of multiple “Southeast Massachusetts Health Educator of the Year” awards. He was also active in MADD, and he directed a boys’ camp in New Hampshire for 3 years.
Brad coached numerous state and New England track champions, and several of the inner city student-athletes he coached and mentored won scholarships and went on to excel in academics and athletics at prestigious colleges and universities.
In May 2017, Brad published his first book Trail Dreams.
• Graduate degree – Masters in Health Education
• 3 teaching certifications: Health Education K-12, Social Sciences 7-12, Elementary Education
• 35 year classroom teacher – elementary, junior and senior high
• Taught in rural, suburban and urban settings with diverse socio-economic and ethnic backgrounds
• Health educator 24 years – Brockton, MA
• Elementary classroom teacher – 11 years
• Varsity high school track coach – 11 years
• Junior high school cross-country coach – 7 years
• Implemented anti-gang program in Brockton school system with Brockton Police Department
• Attended 3 residential environmental schools with students
• Residential camp director – 3 summers
• Graduate level instructor in self-esteem courses
• Trained by the American Medical Association as a non-smoking facilitator for business and industry
• Completed 2,100 mile thru-hike of the Appalachian Trail in 2008
• Long distance hiker, marathoner, tri-athlete